Faller Big Dipper FA140451 - Construction Log February 2007



Box Contents


















Start of Track + Runner placement





Hint: I would recommend that the end of the track is not glued down (unlike shown here)
until the runner has been attached























Completed.


Video@YouTube


... and how I made it work ...
Although the video above shows the coaster making a complete circuit, at the time this was shot the coaster would only make about three complete circuits before it would fall off the track. Without figures in the cars, it was relatively easy to make the coaster run successfully, but as soon as figures were added, the dynamics of the ride changed considerably - it ran slightly slower and the centre of gravity of the cars was raised. I was determined to fix the model so that it would run continuously.
The 3 main problem areas I encountered are shown in the image below as A, B & C.


Nothing special was done to make section A work other than changing the angle of the track until the coaster consistently managed to make it to section B.
Section B proved to be the most troublesome area to solve.
Firstly, with passengers, the coaster hadn't enough momentum to make it past section B. To get around this problem, I had to shorten parts 6/1 circled in B1 & B2 below.
Part 6/1 in B2 was reduced in length by about 10 - 15%.
Part 6/1 in B1 was reduced in length by about 25% - however, by doing this, part 6/4 would no longer fit correctly into part 6/1, so it was necessary to remove a small amount from the top of part 4/1.
The track between these two points used to be flat, but I changed it so that it formed a hill - this gradual change in the track layout comes as less of a shock to the first car of the coaster.


The image below of section B shows that the track is slightly inclined towards the centre of the model.



In section C, shown below, note that the track is positioned slightly in front of its intended support.


I put a small amount of modelling clay into the hollow on the underside of the first car - this helped prevent the first car from leaving the track.
Smoothing out the rest of the track after section C as much as possible helped the coaster maintain its momentum so that it would return successfully to the loading station.
Finally, whilst the coaster was running round and round the track, I drizzled glue into the ball & socket joints in sections A, B & C to secure the current angles and modifications.